{
  "id": 242404,
  "title": "One Day Deadline Extension",
  "url": "/competitions/birdclef-2021/discussion/242404",
  "author_name": "",
  "post_date": "2021-05-28T18:14:22.990444400Z",
  "votes": 23,
  "comment_count": 1,
  "views": 0,
  "content": "<p>Hi all,</p>\n<p>As you may have seen, we experienced a submission outage yesterday that errored all submissions. Because of how close this is to the competition deadline and the impact it has on final scores, <strong>we will be extending the final submission deadline by one day</strong>.</p>\n<p>The outage was related to a code merge that took effect yesterday evening. We obviously didn't expect any issues and as we saw reports from the community we spent time investigating to determine if it was widespread or acute and how to resolve. Messages were posted in the Kaggle General Forum, but not in each individual competition. Kaggle also has a company-wide holiday today (Friday), hence delayed communication from our team.</p>\n<p>We've talked through a number of options to try and make users in impacted competitions whole and concluded that a submission extension of one additional day is the best available option.  We've considered all options, including each of those proposed within our various forums, and believe this is the best option both given the impact to competitors and what our platform is capable of within each competition format. The competition timeline page will be updated accordingly.</p>\n<p>We understand this is frustrating, and we will work on improving emergency messaging so that you don’t have to dig to find out something is broken.</p>\n<p>Again, apologies and thanks for your patience!</p>",
  "messages": [
    {
      "id": "1326928",
      "postDate": "05/28/2021 18:14:22",
      "content": "<p>Hi all,</p>\n<p>As you may have seen, we experienced a submission outage yesterday that errored all submissions. Because of how close this is to the competition deadline and the impact it has on final scores, <strong>we will be extending the final submission deadline by one day</strong>.</p>\n<p>The outage was related to a code merge that took effect yesterday evening. We obviously didn't expect any issues and as we saw reports from the community we spent time investigating to determine if it was widespread or acute and how to resolve. Messages were posted in the Kaggle General Forum, but not in each individual competition. Kaggle also has a company-wide holiday today (Friday), hence delayed communication from our team.</p>\n<p>We've talked through a number of options to try and make users in impacted competitions whole and concluded that a submission extension of one additional day is the best available option.  We've considered all options, including each of those proposed within our various forums, and believe this is the best option both given the impact to competitors and what our platform is capable of within each competition format. The competition timeline page will be updated accordingly.</p>\n<p>We understand this is frustrating, and we will work on improving emergency messaging so that you don’t have to dig to find out something is broken.</p>\n<p>Again, apologies and thanks for your patience!</p>",
      "rawMarkdown": "Hi all,\n\nAs you may have seen, we experienced a submission outage yesterday that errored all submissions. Because of how close this is to the competition deadline and the impact it has on final scores, **we will be extending the final submission deadline by one day**.\n\nThe outage was related to a code merge that took effect yesterday evening. We obviously didn't expect any issues and as we saw reports from the community we spent time investigating to determine if it was widespread or acute and how to resolve. Messages were posted in the Kaggle General Forum, but not in each individual competition. Kaggle also has a company-wide holiday today (Friday), hence delayed communication from our team.\n\nWe've talked through a number of options to try and make users in impacted competitions whole and concluded that a submission extension of one additional day is the best available option.  We've considered all options, including each of those proposed within our various forums, and believe this is the best option both given the impact to competitors and what our platform is capable of within each competition format. The competition timeline page will be updated accordingly.\n\nWe understand this is frustrating, and we will work on improving emergency messaging so that you don’t have to dig to find out something is broken.\n\nAgain, apologies and thanks for your patience!",
      "votes": null
    },
    {
      "id": "1326984",
      "postDate": "05/28/2021 19:08:13",
      "content": "<p>Thanks for the update.  Thanks also for considering all options.  We can get back to work now.</p>\n<p>May I suggest you avoid code merges the day before an extended weekend that lasts till a competition end? ;)</p>\n<p>I fully understand that there can be bugs, I have been a software developer (and a manager of SW engineering teams) long enough to know that.  But you can chose when to merge code so that you can provide support if issues are created by it.</p>",
      "rawMarkdown": "Thanks for the update.  Thanks also for considering all options.  We can get back to work now.\n\nMay I suggest you avoid code merges the day before an extended weekend that lasts till a competition end? ;)\n\nI fully understand that there can be bugs, I have been a software developer (and a manager of SW engineering teams) long enough to know that.  But you can chose when to merge code so that you can provide support if issues are created by it.",
      "votes": null
    }
  ],
  "comments": [
    {
      "id": 1326984,
      "author_name": "cpmpml",
      "author_url": "",
      "post_date": "05/28/2021 19:08:13",
      "content": "<p>Thanks for the update.  Thanks also for considering all options.  We can get back to work now.</p>\n<p>May I suggest you avoid code merges the day before an extended weekend that lasts till a competition end? ;)</p>\n<p>I fully understand that there can be bugs, I have been a software developer (and a manager of SW engineering teams) long enough to know that.  But you can chose when to merge code so that you can provide support if issues are created by it.</p>",
      "votes": null,
      "replies": []
    }
  ],
  "raw_markdown_by_id": {
    "1326928": "Hi all,\n\nAs you may have seen, we experienced a submission outage yesterday that errored all submissions. Because of how close this is to the competition deadline and the impact it has on final scores, **we will be extending the final submission deadline by one day**.\n\nThe outage was related to a code merge that took effect yesterday evening. We obviously didn't expect any issues and as we saw reports from the community we spent time investigating to determine if it was widespread or acute and how to resolve. Messages were posted in the Kaggle General Forum, but not in each individual competition. Kaggle also has a company-wide holiday today (Friday), hence delayed communication from our team.\n\nWe've talked through a number of options to try and make users in impacted competitions whole and concluded that a submission extension of one additional day is the best available option.  We've considered all options, including each of those proposed within our various forums, and believe this is the best option both given the impact to competitors and what our platform is capable of within each competition format. The competition timeline page will be updated accordingly.\n\nWe understand this is frustrating, and we will work on improving emergency messaging so that you don’t have to dig to find out something is broken.\n\nAgain, apologies and thanks for your patience!",
    "1326984": "Thanks for the update.  Thanks also for considering all options.  We can get back to work now.\n\nMay I suggest you avoid code merges the day before an extended weekend that lasts till a competition end? ;)\n\nI fully understand that there can be bugs, I have been a software developer (and a manager of SW engineering teams) long enough to know that.  But you can chose when to merge code so that you can provide support if issues are created by it."
  },
  "source": "meta"
}